Warm Spring Weather Means Fishing Opener May Move Up | News
The Minnesota House voted Tuesday night to change the state's fishing opener this year. They will be moving it up by one week to May 5 because this warm spring has fish, especially walleye, spawning early.
The opener is usually right after fish spawn, normally the second Saturday in May, but our record warm March is throwing everything off.
The Senate has yet to take action on the bill. The Governor's Press Secretary told KSTP they will not change the Governor's Fishing Opener scheduled for May 12 on Lake Waconia. She says too much planning has gone into it to change it at this point.
When asked if the Governor would sign the bill, she said he'd confer with the DNR Commissioner and make a decision.
Top Edina Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Memorial for Families in Lilydale Park Gravel Slide Tragedy
- St. Paul Fire News Conference: Deadly Lilydale Regional Park Gravel Slide
- Counseling for St. Louis Park School after Park Tragedy
- 20th Annual Children First Ice Cream Social in Saint Louis Park
- Light Rail Transit Maintenance Facility Open House